www.flickr.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Supermom's Kryptonite

I can usually handle taking all the girls everywhere and doing whatever I need to get done with them tagging along. I don't usually like it, but I can do it.

Brent and I decided to have Angie and Amy tested after the tainted milk stories came out of China recently. I've been meaning to do it for a week now but the girls have been sick and I've been sick too and I just couldn't get up the motivation to get everyone out of the house.
I decided to just do it today and get it over with. I had to take them to get some blood drawn at the hospital. The girls all thought they were going to see the pediatrician and they were all excited because they love him. They were all chattering about it in the car. Karianne sits right behind me in the car and Angie and Amy sits in the back row. I told Karianne we weren't going to see the Dr., I was actually taking Amy and Angie to get some shots. Somehow Angie heard and started screaming and crying. She hasn't gotten shots since she turned 2, I couldn't believe she remembered what a shot was. I tried to downplay it, but the damage was done.
When I got them to the lab I asked if they could get blood drawn at the same time because there would be no way I'd get one in the chair after she saw what was happening to the other one. They only had one tech. I had Angie go first and she really started panicking. I had to hold her in my lap and I tried to distract her. She was screaming and kicking and another tech magically appeared to help hold her down. Meanwhile I had the other 3 girls in the hall just outside the door so they wouldn't see what was going on and Lucy and Amy started crying. Halfway through Angie's blood draw another 2 techs magically appeared again and just whisked Amy away without asking my permission and She let out a scream that I hadn't heard from her since we first got her in China. So for a few minutes we all lived in a nightmare, Me and Angie strapped to a chair with Angie screaming and crying and hearing Amy's screams and cries without being able to go to her. Awful.

On the bright side, of course they stopped crying immediately when it was over and smiled nicely when they got candy and stickers and they got to show off their bandages to everyone. All is forgotten and forgiven. Now I need chocolate to calm my nerves!

No comments: