www.flickr.com

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

She's out

Amy came out of surgery about an hour and a half ago. She was in surgery for over 7 hours! I am still waiting to have a good talk with the Dr about the success of the surgery but from what I understand, he removed a bone spur that was splitting her spinal cord in two separated cords untethered her spinal cord that was attached to bone at the base of her spine. He also made a sack to try and make the cords one again, I didn't know he was planning on doing that.
The first notice we had that Amy was out of surgery was an orderly (sp) asking us to follow him. We had watched doctors all day long come out and talk to the families and tell them how it went, we didn't get that. The orderly asked us to follow him and he'd take us to Amy. We started breaking down our camp that we had been living in all day and he told us calmly that Amy was a "little" restless and wanting momma and daddy. I left Brent to get all our stuff and I took off to find Amy. As soon as I got through the Recovery room doors I heard Amy just wailing and It's all I could do not to break into a run to get to her. I thought she was just being confused from coming out of anthesethia. She calmed down a little when she saw me, but then started wailing again telling us her back hurt. Poor baby, I just melted. They gave her some morphine and got her to sleep. SHe's been in a heavy sleep since then. We need to keep her flat throughout the evening to keep the spinal fluid where it should be. Keep praying that she has a restful night- and us too!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hope both of you can get some good rest tonight! Still praying for you guys!!

April said...

fingers and toes crossed for a speedy and full recovery!!!

Unknown said...

Karin, I am praying BIG time for your sweet Amy!
Please know God holds her in the palm of His hand...He loves her so much and is able to comfort her and free her from the pain...this is my prayer!! I also pray sleep for you as I know the hospital is not the greatest setting for rest--
Much love,
kelly Rumbaugh