www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chicken Dance til the cows come home!

We have a mean chicken dancer in our house. Karianne can dance the chicken dance out of any challenger. She is very serious about it. You can ask her to do the chicken dance and she will jump into action. No music, just her, with a serious expression on her face making bird beaks with her hands, flapping her arms, wiggling her rear end and clapping in perfect timing- repeat.

I found out there was an Octoberfest this weekend in Tulsa and kids could do the chicken dance. I thought it would be fun. I asked Karianne if she wanted to go to a place were she could do the chicken dance. She was all business, jumped in the car and said "lets go". Like, 'who needs to see me perform my world famous execution of the chicken dance?'

I thought it was free, it wasn't. We had to pay to park, pay to get in, and pay for anything else we wanted to do in the festival. I wanted to leave as soon as we got there because we had already shucked out more money than I was expecting to park and get in the place! The Chicken Dance was free though. As soon as we stepped in the gate we heard warm up strains of- the chicken dance. Karianne had a job to do so we ran into the tent and Karianne, Amy and I ran up on the dance floor and started dancing. Amy and I were giggling but Karianne was a serious as a heart attack. Angie wasn't interested, she was busy being a 'princess angel'.

We got done with the dance and walked out and not long after that we heard the refrain striking up in another tent so we ducked in and performed our Duty. We finally found the Children's tent where everything was free and the Dance was repeated often. A clown and a guy in Legerhosen was leading the dance and they had some WORDS for the dance! Now this caught Karianne's attention. She studied the guy with the legerhosen on until she had learned the words to go with the dance. It was like learning that Swan Lake had WORDS to go with the ballet moves. Now she stood on the dance floor with the other kids and the clown and the guy and flapped her arms and wiggled her behind and sang with gusto without cracking a smile,
" I can't believe, I can't believe
I'm doing this, I'm doing this
I must be nuts, I must be nuts!"

She is the champion.

No comments: