www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 5


Today Amy clung to me all day and said "momma momma momma" all day long, which I am used to. She also never followed it up with anything, just "momma" which I am also used to. I am not used to having to carry my 3year olds around everywhere, that was exhausting.

Our guide took showed us the sites along the Yellow River. The chinese consider it their mother and everyone Chinese was birthed from the river. There is a statue along the river commemerating it, we have a picture of it in our flickr photos. The Chinese lover their legends. There are statues and stories behind them everywhere. It's fun to here the lore behind everything.
We have pictures of the Waterwheel park, a reproduction waterwheel that shows how people used to get their power from the river.
we walked along the first "iron" bridge built in China. Its a landmark and tourist come and get their picture taken in front of it, to us it looks like a normal bridge that we see everywhere in America. There are padlocks attached to the bridge, we saw it on the great wall as well, with red ribbon tied to them. We asked our guide what it meant and she said eternal love that can't be undone. Awwww.
There are LOTS of people walking around. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a weekday or not. I commented to the guide about it and she said that the Chemical Plant in Lanzhou (China's first Chemical Plant- also a source of pride) is so toxic that people can't work there for very long so they can retire after working there for 8 years.
When we were walking along the river a woman came up to us to poke at Amy, which we are trying to get used to, soon there was a crowd all commenting and poking at her. We usually gather a small crowd everywhere we go, I have no idea why, but this was the largest almost 20 people, a little overwhelming. Brent started filming it, when the kids noticed Brent had a camera they left Amy and I alone and started smiling for the camera. Here's a link to the video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TQaGJrHT9nQ

This would never happen in America!

We went to a restaurant after the River. Amy finally ate a good meal and was in a good mood and we got some cute pictures of her. Here. instead of free refills, you order a Sprite and you get a liter which everyone shares. When it's gone that's it. I had my cup filled, drank about half of it and they topped it off with me- with hot water! I told them there was a misake, I had Sprite so they threw it out and took my 1 liter and poured a new cup. I took a swallow, within a couple minutes they topped it off with hot water again!! No! The waiter dumped it out and gave me what was left of the liter, about a half a cup- which they again tried to put hot water in but I was vigilant this time and saved my half a glass of Sprite! We asked the guide if the waiter was going to make it right, she shrugged and didn't seem too bothered. Apparently the chinese drink hot water. She poured some in a bowl and gave Amy a spoon and she drank it. I guess that is how they know it is sterilized.
Oh, for dessert they brought out turtle shell. It had been boiled for a "long time" , so long it was gelatinous. We each had a bite, Brent actually had 3 bites I think before he gave in. It was pretty awful, and definately not sweet like a dessert should be. :-)

No Smoking Please!

Everyone smokes in China. It is one thing that sends me running and gives me an instant Headache, I can't stand the smell. I cannot get away from it here. People smoke in stores, restuarants, airports, bathrooms, elevators. and the hotel rooms. I can tell whenever the people next door light a cigarette, I feel like I am smoking it too, I'm smoking one now! blah!


Amy doesn't like being in the room, she cries whenever we head back to it, so as much as we can we walk, and walk.

No comments: