www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cold fish


These are my fish in my little fish pond in our backyard. I've had these two guys for about 2 years but I've always had goldfish in a little pond in our yard, here and in Texas. In the wintertime, they just go down to the bottom of the pond and sort of hibernate through the winter. Last week my pond froze over and for the first time ever, one of my fish did not get down to the bottom in time and he froze in the ice! If it wasn't so morbid I would have taken a picture of him. I had to wait for the ice to thaw to get him out. About 2 days later it finally started melting. I saw him in a little melted whole in the ice, but still couldn't get him out. I decided to wait until it was all thawed and then get him out of the pond. The next day my pond was completely thawed and I went out to get my poor dead fish out to see him swimming around with his buddy again! My amazing cryogenic fish! So both little guys are fine and they will have a very cold Christmas. It's supposed to snow, I hope he learned his lesson and swims down.

No comments: