www.flickr.com

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Texas Peaks Head West Part I

We cruised down route 66 today as we headed west towards Phoenix. Brent had the kids and the camper in one vehicle and I drove the van with pets and plants. I armed myself with chocolate and Mountain Dew and hit the road. One of the challenges of being short is that unless it is noon, the sun visor in the car does nothing. I had a ball cap and the biggest darkest sunglasses I could find to try to block out the sun, I looked like an incognito movie star.


The drive was great, We have been all over the upper half of Route 66 and it was fun to drive the rest of it. The kitchy-ness did not let me down. I wanted to stop at the "Chine-Ital-Mexi-Ameri-Q" Resturaunt but we had just filled up at a McDonalds outside of Oklahoma City. Driving past the BAR S Hot dog factory was a highlight for Brent. In Texas We got to see the Biggest Cross in The Western Hemisphere in Groom, Texas. Quite an accomplishment. I wanted to know what the story behind Deaf Smith County in Texas, guess I'll never know. We ate dinner in Vega, Texas. It's like Vegas- but not. We ate at the Dairy Queen there, the only resturant in town. The terrain was fabulous, we drove by Palo Dura in the Texas Panhandle and spent the night in the mountains of Abuquerque, NM.

No comments: