www.flickr.com

Friday, January 8, 2010

Abundant Life


"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have life more abundantly".(John 10:10)

January is Sanctity of Life month. In memory of the Roe vs Wade supreme court decision that happened in January 1973, We've tried to reclaim the anniversary as a time to honor all life.

I remember as a teenager I told my friends and told them to spread the word, if they ever faced abortion, to please let me have the child before they did that. I don't know what I thought I was going to do if anyone ever took me up on that offer, but I knew I meant it.

Six years ago in January, I heard Steven Curtis Chapman's testimony on the radio about their decision to adopt. They had adopted a baby girl from China. We had buried our stillborn son a year and a half before and we were childless and empty. The testimony was very moving to me, I had wanted to adopt, but couldn't convince Brent to look into it. The very next day, my friend Lavonne invited me to lunch. She and her husband had also experienced infertility and loss and she wanted to tell me over lunch that they had decided to adopt a baby from China and wanted us to go with them and adopt as well.

Six years ago in January, Sanctity of Life Month, God laid on our hearts the call to adopt. A decision that changed our lives and our calling forever. It is amazing thing to allow God to use you in a big thing. It takes a long time just to be willing sometimes, but when you are willing, you will never be the same.

I confess, it would have been easier remain as we were, there's a lot of mess with paperwork, money and children with all their baggage. But I truly shudder to think what I would be missing out on if we had not opened our hearts on Sanctity of Life month to BE the difference of life or death to a child. You touch the heart of God when you care for orphans. We have now taken 2 little girls as our own. Given them names, love and a family forever. What a privilege to be a mirror in a small way of what God has done for all of us.

Since our first adoption, we began to get involved in finding homes for children, helping others adopt and even helping care for orphans who are not adopted. This is an abundant life, and we look forward to living more abundantly.

No comments: