www.flickr.com

Monday, May 7, 2012

A little beach time for myself


After the Summit, I had a few hours on Saturday before my plane left. Since I was so close to the beach, I headed out! Spent the day on the sand and arrived at the airport with sand still between my toes. Lovely! I went to Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.










 I had lunch in a little restaurant right on the beach in a State Park. The park had preserved some old beach bungalows from the 1920s that used to be a thriving Japanese settlement. The people lived in these sweet houses and sold fruit on the costal highway to tourists passing through. During WWII they were all "relocated" and none returned to the community after the war. I found the houses haunting. They were charming and were covered with flowers that were planted close to 100 years ago and still growing. Such a sweet life they must have had. Such  a sad way for the community to cease. I'm glad California preserved these houses so we will never forget.








No comments: