www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 27, 2009

What we need here is a little organization




Brent and I aren't great planners. I mean look at our family, 3 kids the same age- who plans that? We talk about it, agree it's a good idea and we do it. We work out the details as we go along. This summer we went on vacation, we didn't really have any concrete plans, we just knew we needed to get away for a while. We ended up being gone for 2 weeks, dropped in on family in 3 different states and we went to Disneyworld because we were in the area. I know, who does that? People plan for years to go to Disney.

This week we decided to go camping in our new-to-us 1988 Coleman Pop Up Camper. We packed up the girls and went. When we got to the camp site There was a creepy face carved into a tree that greeted us- it was an omen!

Brent and I set about setting up the camper and realized that the door was locked and we weren't given a key from the previous owner. Didn't pack any tools so we went to the park office and borrowed a hammer and busted the lock off.

We were all hot so the girls and I went swimming. That's when I realized Karianne didn't pack any sandals just the pair of tennis shoes and one pair of socks on her feet. I really wish I had water socks for the girls since that was the most suspicious looking water I've ever let them swim in. It had bubbles rising from the bottom like a swamp the whole time we were in the water- which wasn't very long! There were no trash cans at the site or the lake so there was plenty of trash on the ground and in the lake. After swimming, we wanted dinner. At home I had made the huge mistake of letting Brent pack the kitchen items and food. Brent and I had hotdogs. Just hot dogs, not buns, no condiments. No plates, no silverware. The girls ate peanutbutter tortillas spread on with the one fork that Brent had packed to eat his sardines with. There was no ice in the cooler either. He had put a few ice packs in to keep our food cool. It was when the girls got ready for bed that I realized Karianne had not packed anything except toys in her backpack. No clothes.
















I tried to get Lucy asleep in the camper while Brent and the girls were having smores after dark. I crawled into one of the beds with Lucy and screamed as the whole camper tilted like a giant teeter totter. I grabbed Lucy and climbed uphill to the other side of the camper and with much creaking and scraping metal sounds the camper thudded back into an upright position. Brent said he had no idea why that happened. Later, I put the rest of the girls in the same bed with Lucy. Again, "Creeeeak, Thud!" The camper tilted and about spilled the girls out the back. We all screamed and Brent and I ran to the other bunk to set the camper aright again. After I finally got all the girls to bed with Brent balancing us by staying on the other side of the camper, Brent suddenly remembered that he hadn't set the jack on the camper that's why were experiencing motion sickness. Oops.

The next day, Brent and I had decided we were leaving after breakfast. I had a headache, and we were grouchy. We really didn't have anything to eat, and the milk was warm. The girls played while Brent and I put down the camper. He played some music plugged into the car. The music drained the car battery and we called the park office again and asked them to jump start our car. Good Times! Next time I'll try the list thingy that I've heard so much about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. This is the kind of stuff that always happens to me also! You just have to laugh!
Deb Harrop

Duncan Clan said...

Sounds like the best memories ever... for the girls.