www.flickr.com

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eye opening

I just finished two books this week that I was reading at the same time. One was Silent Tears about an orphanage in China and the other was "Ask Me Why I Hurt: The Kids No One Wants and the Doctor Who Heals Them". The second book is about a Dr in Phoenix that converted an RV into a mobile clinic and serves the homeless kids of Phoenix and tends to their medical needs. Both books were very heavy, and hard to read the stories of kids who so desperately need help. Both books discussed the fact that some people just don't want to know, it's to difficult to hear the stories and go back to our normal routines. So because it's hard, they would just rather not know. It is hard, and it will change you if you allow yourself to hear about the needs of others. But oh what a blessing, and a passion you feel once you find that thing that moves you to tears and moves you to try to make a difference.

 For me, it's these kids. The kids in orphanages and group homes here in Phoenix, and across the world. Our family started visiting another group home a couple weeks ago. We're already visiting several group homes. I didn't really have the time to take on another home. I wanted to visit one girl that got moved out of a home we were visiting and into another one that no one volunteers in. She ages out in a few weeks, so I only intended to visit until she aged out. The first time we visited that home, I told the girl that we only intended to visit until she aged out. She looked at me and said, "These girls need you, they have no one, they need someone in their lives." What to do? One visit and there's no way I could back out and say, "Well that was nice". Not when these kids need someone, they need to be shown unconditional love, God's love.
 Not when our eyes have been opened.


Today, that home came to our church. Honestly, we didn't invite them, they asked if they could come. That's so awesome. I had a small group of volunteers from our church make a visit for the first time at two other group homes this weekend. They came to me today and told me what an amazing experience they had visiting with the kids and  how they are already in love with the kids there. Completely awesome!   May those kids find more love and open more eyes as they get to know people in our church.

No comments: